American orchestra and opera conductor Channing Yu is Music Director of the Mercury Orchestra in Cambridge, Massachusetts; Music Director of Bay Colony Brass in Watertown, Massachusetts; Music Director of the Dudley Orchestra in Cambridge, Massachusetts; and Conductor of the Massachusetts Youth Symphony Project Preparatory String Orchestra in Belmont, Massachusetts. He is national winner of the 2010 American Prize in Orchestral Conducting in the community orchestra division.
He has also served as Artistic Director and Conductor of the Lowell House Opera, the oldest opera company in New England, where he conducted over thirty fully staged performances with orchestra, including Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin, Richard Strauss’s Der Rosenkavalier, Puccini’s Turandot, Verdi’s Otello, and Puccini’s Tosca. For his musical direction of Tosca, he was awarded second prize in the 2011 American Prize in Opera Conducting national competition.
He was invited to guest conduct at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte, in its 2008 production of Marc-Antoine Charpentier’s baroque opera Les arts florissants. He guest conducted the Westmoreland Symphony Orchestra in 2008 and 2009. He was one of fourteen conductors worldwide selected to work with conductors Neeme Järvi, Leonid Grin, and Paavo Järvi in master classes at the 2009 Leigo Lakes Music Days Festival in Estonia. In 2010, he worked with George Pehlivanian and L’Ensemble Orchestral de València in Spain. In 2013 he worked with Johannes Schlaefli and conducted the Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra in Bulgaria.More...
- REVIEW: Playing passionately with Mercury —Boston Musical Intelligencer, July 20, 2015
- Bay Colony Brass comes to town —Arlington Advocate, October 19, 2014
- REVIEW: Mercury Orchestra at Sanders Theatre: A radiant Mahler —Boston Concert Reviews, July 31, 2014
- REVIEW: Mercury Orchestra plays like a pro —Boston Musical Intelligencer, July 21, 2014
- The American Prize announces winners in Opera Performance & Conducting —Musical America, August 2, 2011
- Channing Yu is national second place winner in The American Prize in Opera Conducting, 2011 —American Prize website, July 22, 2011
- REVIEW: Mercury Orchestra a Marvel in Mahler 6 —The Boston Musical Intelligencer
- Mercury rises again for its single annual performance —Boston Globe, July 22, 2011
- Cambridge orchestra wins prestigious award —Boston Globe, July 13, 2010
- Channing Yu wins 2010 American Prize in Orchestral Conducting —Mercury Orchestra News, July 9, 2010
- Channing Yu wins the American Prize in Orchestral Conducting — American Prize website, July 9, 2010
- Cambridge-based Mercury Orchestra wins American Prize —Cambridge Chronicle, June 21, 2010